Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Six Months Old !!

Tomorrow will be the six month anniversary of Elvis' trip to the Rainbow Bridge.   We didn't know it at the time, of course, but as Elvis was leaving this world, another little boy-corgi was entering it.   Today is Zacchaeus' six-month birthday!   He was almost seven weeks old when I got him and weighed less than three pounds!   He was so tiny, so fragile and SUCH a baby.   And  he grew SO fast!   I remember how skinny he was at first.   I was afraid I wasn't feeding him enough and even asked our veterinarian about it.  She assured me he was right on track.   His little mid-section would fill out when he ate; then he'd take a nap and when he woke up he was thin again and noticably longer!   He was literally growing before my eyes!
October, 2013

January 28, 2014
Zak had several growth spurts when he just couldn't seem to get enough to eat!   He is now twenty pounds and almost as big as the girls!  He's happy, confident and affectionate.   He loves to play (especially with Scarlett) but he does have an 'off' button and when he's tired, he becomes a soft and cuddly snuggle bunny.    He lost his baby teeth several weeks ago and now has a beautiful set of pearly white adult teeth.    Zak loves to chew and a cardboard box is his favorite toy!!    Thank goodness for a good vacuum cleaner!

Zak is unphased by the brutally cold winter.   He loves to play in the snow.  He also has the same disgusting habit of eating 'poop-cicles' that most corgis in this climate do.   I'm not as diligent about picking up poop when it's -20 degrees as I should be, so suffice to say - he's had his share!   Thank goodness, he loves to have his teeth brushed!   That poultry flavored toothpaste has him completely fooled!

I think back to those early weeks and marvel at how quickly they went by!   Like a new Mom, I am a little sad that he grew so fast and wish I could cuddle that 4 lb bundle of fur just one more time!  But he is easier now.   He's house broken, he sleeps through the night (most of the time) and he's learning to mind.   I am excited for Spring and look forward to being outdoors more.   Unfortunately, that is still a couple months away!     

No comments: