Thursday, July 31, 2008

Two Kinds of Corgis

When I take my girls out in public, they attract a lot of attention. This has been a fun thing for me because I am not very outgoing, and my corgis are natural conversation starters. The comments I hear most often are "What kind of dogs are those?", "That's the kind of dog I've always wanted" and "Are those the Welsh corgis? They're alluding to the fact that there are two kinds of corgis, but actually they're both Welsh. Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Cardigan Welsh Corgis are actually two different breeds. Both originated in Wales to herd cattle, but they descended from different breeds. Pembrokes are better known ... probably because that's the kind the royal family has. Pems and Cardigans have similar personalities. They're smart, strong willed and low to the ground with a long back and short legs. Cardigans are a little larger, and the most noticable difference is that they have a tail.
I haven't seen very many Cardigans, but we do run into this pair at the park now and then. They are beautiful dogs with alert, intelligent faces. And, as these pictures show, they can sit straight up, using that long tail to balance themselves. Actually, I think they just like to show off in front of my girls, who can only dream of being able to perform such a stunt!

2 comments:

KLM said...

wow, great post. I never expected too see some one with a corgi blog, also. Its great that you take the time to teach people about corgis, even if it may take a while to be noticed. (:

Anonymous said...

Hi I am new here I have a Pembroke Welsh Blue Merle Corgi He is about 3 months old. I am new to being a parent / owner to Corgi's and am looking for as much information as I can get. If anyone has information for me I would love all the info.
I love your site by the way.